The South West Coast Path owes its unique character to natural processes. Our coastline would not look so beautiful and dramatic if it wasn't for cliff and beach erosion. The downside is that sometimes cliff falls or landslips close sections of the Coast Path resulting in temporary inland diversions, which can occasionally be quite lengthy, being needed. In these instances, always follow signing and information on the ground or check out this page for up to date information.
We are also constantly looking for opportunities to improve the route in the few places where it is not as good as it could be.
Recent changes that may not be in your guidebook or shown on your map are (click on the links for more details):-
- Exmoor - Yenworthy (between Porlock Weir & Lynmouth) - short diversion due to landslip
- Exmoor: Lynmouth - path diverted for building work
- Exmoor: Crock Point, near Woody Bay - path diverted due to landslip
- Watermouth Cove near Combe Martin - closures planned for major improvement
- North Cornwall: Tintagel to Port Isaac - Update: path reopened
- North Cornwall: Gannel Crossing, Newquay - Update: boardwalk repaired and path reopened
- West Cornwall: Porthchapel near Porthcurno - Update: path reopened
- South Cornwall, south of Chynallis Point near Coverack - cliff fall on lower path - path diverted
- South Cornwall. Porthallow, the Lizard - Update: path reopened with minor diversion
- South Cornwall: Porthoustock - short section of path diverted due to a landslide
- South Cornwall: Portscatho - diversion due to 2 cliff falls near Greeb Point
- South Cornwall: Durgan - small diversion due to a cliff fall
- South Cornwall: Porthluney Cove (Caerhayes) to Hemmick Beach - Update: path reopened
- SE Cornwall: Porthpean - Update: path reopened
- SE Cornwall: Path Duporth, near St Austell - Update: path reopened
- SE Cornwall: Par to Polkerris - Update: path reopened
- SE Cornwall: Lansallos (between Polruan & Polperro) - Update: path reopened
- SE Cornwall: Portwrinkle - Update: path reopened
- SE Cornwall: St Martins - Monkey Sanctuary - Update: The new section of path is now open and available to members of the public. The sign plates at the main access points have been installed and the diversion signs removed.
- SE Cornwall: Downderry - River bank flood damage has closed the path from the beach to the Coast Path
- SE Cornwall: Tregantle Firing Range - new improved route
- SE Cornwall: Whitsand Bay - path closed due to landslip
- SE Cornwall: Cawsand - The South West Coast Path been reopened through Garrett Street in the middle of Cawsand after a house fire. All signage has been removed.
- Plymouth: Royal William Yard - new route around Stonehouse peninsula
- Plymouth: Oreston - improved route
- South Devon: Thurlestone to Hope Cove - path diverted due to cliff fall
- South Devon: West of Lannacombe Beach - UPDATE path reopened
- South Devon: Kingswear - path diverted off Beacon Road due to the slippage of the cliff below.
- East Devon: Old Beer Road, Seaton - path diverted due to cliff fall
- West Dorset: Charmouth to Stonebarrow - path diverted due to cliff fall
- West Dorset: Burton Bradstock - path reopened with small diversion following cliff fall
- Dorset: Portland, West Weare - cliff subsidence. UPDATE - diversions in place
- Purbeck, Dorset: Kimmeridge to Chapman's Pool - inland diversion due to cliff falls